Congrats Rex Hunt on AFL Life Membership


From the musings of my Friend, Rex Hunt - a legend and icon who has just been awarded life membership to the AFL

I have received what I believe is my greatest honor. ‘
Apart from my own family highlights, receiving life membership of the AFL is just amazing. 

Shaun Ryan, a 300-game umpire, gave a great speech on behalf of all the new life members (10 of us).
It would be remiss of me not to personally thank a few people who have been significant in their influence on me during my 50-year journey in VFL/AFL Football.
In no way does this diminish from the amazing support I have had over the years from so many folks.

Ben Kavanagh, former Bomber player, was my first coach. He gave me the greatest advice.  Believe in yourself.

Wally Davidson and Jimmy McMahon were just wonderful at Parkdale Footy Club.

Tom Hafey and Graeme Richmond taught me to toughen up at Richmond in those golden years.

Harry Beitzel gave me enthusiastic advice in becoming a radio broadcaster. His influence on me in immeasurable.

Mike Williamson gave me an amazing apprenticeship for 6 years at 3DB, thankyou Mike.

Radio 3AW is my home. Its where I started and its where Ill finish.

I thank Ron Barassi for his inspiration in making me train hard to make it at the top level.

And to Craig Hutchison who gave me the opportunity to continue in broadcasting at AFL Live and finally end up back home at 3AW. 

Thanks so much Stephen Beers.

James Mcleod of Tobin Brothers has ressurected my career with his amazing loyalty and caring of me and my family.  

Thanks my dear friend.  Geez Tobin brothers....who would ever have thought?

My wife Lynne has been with me these 50 years. 

Kevin Sheedy introduced us all those years ago. 

Unfortunately, she was not well enough to come with me to the presentation. But you know what role you have played in that half a century. Thanks Mum, I love you.

My daughter Rachel, who is our energy and our greatest gift, came with me and made me feel so proud. Thanks Floss.

Thankyou everyone for your great support over this amazing journey. I feel so proud.  I hope that I can inspire more kids to have a go.  

Anythings possible if you work hard enough and you believe. Do what you are passionate about.  No matter what it is.

As I finish this piece I am now looking at my Certificate.

WOW......thanks so much.

Yibbida Yibbida that’s all folks. ....3AW is Football.